One of the unique things about doing ministry in the 21st Century is that we are experiencing a first: potentially, we have more generations presentin our churches than at any other time in history. People are living longer. This is an exciting challenge to face!
For your forward planning, We here at Formedfaith (okay, its Jonathan and Fiona!) are teaching the skills to meet this exciting challenge in Semester 2, 2018 at St Francis College.
THL250 Ministry Across the Lifespan will enable learners to deal with the complex and dynamic intergenerational landscape of prospering 21st Century Churches. Did we mention that churches round the world that are doing well are those that do intergenerational ministry well? No? You'll find out all about it in THL250!
If you want to know more about this opportunity to learn, call st Francis College on 35147403.
Oh, and if you love the nitty gritty, here's what the subject will do. This is straight from the subject outline...
This subject explores the influence that growth and development has upon the practice of Christian ministry. Biological, social, emotional and spiritual development is considered throughout the whole of life – students have the ability to focus their attention on one particular stage of life. The different needs and developmental tasks within the various stages of life are investigated with particular attention given to the way in which Christian ministry may maximise human potential.
Upon successful completion of this subject, students should
· be able to describe significant models of physical, psycho-social, emotional and spiritual growth and development
· be able to identify the key stages of growth and development across the human lifespan
· be able to integrate an understanding of growth and development with a theology of the human person
· be able to demonstrate appropriate ministry techniques and activities for people within a particular stage of life
· be able to situate ministry within an intergenerational web of relationships
The subject will cover the following topics
· Humans as growing creatures
· Models of development: Biological, Social, Emotional, Spiritual
· From dawn to dusk: Infancy & childhood, adolescence & young adulthood, adulthood, old age
· Growing into maturity while capable of ministry
· Preaching & teaching to different age groups
· Public worship with different age groups
· Leading and serving with different age groups
· Ministry in multi-age groups